Johnny Scaramanga writes:
Accelerated Christian Education’s fundamentalist curriculum is used by more than 50 British schools. It is known for silent classrooms where students teach themselves, using workbooks in isolated booths. Professor Harry Brighouse describes ACE’s view as “a teleological account of American history as leading to the ultimate fulfilment of God’s will”. You may be unsurprised to learn that ACE was founded in Texas. ACE made headlines last year for a science textbook that cites the existence of the Loch Ness monster as evidence against evolution. Despite this, government agency UK NARIC defended its decision to deem ACE’s in-house qualification, the International Certificate of Christian Education, comparable to A-levels. Incredibly, Nessie isn’t ACE’s most bizarre claim. Here are five more:
1) God is a right-winger. “Liberals” are the root of all political evil. God’s values are rightwing, and anything else is a rejection of His will. On a politics chart, “right” is associated with “absolute” and “God”, while “left” is connected to “no values” and “atheism.” The term “leftwing”, we learn, exists because “left” means “sinister”, “to twist something”, or “to corrupt.” Jesus, by contrast, taught that “we should use what we have to earn a profit.” If your political views lean left, you are neither a true Christian, nor a good citizen.
2) No transitional fossils exist. Despite the avalanche of transitional fossils, ACE still shouts about mysterious “gaps”: “Though evolutionists have been searching for transitional fossils for more than 100 years, they have found none,” narrates one Presenting Accelerated Christian Education video. Nope, none. Not only that, but we can be certain “no transitional fossils have been or will ever be discovered because God created each type of fish, amphibian and reptile as separate, unique animals.” I’m sure the scientists who excavated tiktaalik will be crushed to learn that their discovery doesn’t, in fact, exist. But even without fossils, evolution is thoroughly supported by DNA and a wealth of other evidence.
3) Solar fusion is a myth. It is nuclear fusion that has enabled our sun to shine for billions of years. ACE are determined to prove that the universe is less than 10,000 years old, in line with their literal interpretation of Genesis. As a result, they teach that solar fusion is “an invention of evolution scientists … All other theories require the sun to use up all its energy sooner than the evolutionists’ invented timetable would allow.” This preposterous suggestion is part of a wider campaign to discredit mainstream science.
4) Evolution is an absurd, deliberate lie. Although ACE make no bones about being Creationists, they sometimes claim they also teach evolution. While evolution is mentioned frequently, it’s only to ridicule it. We are told, “Even from a strictly scientific standpoint, the theory of evolution is absurd.” Evolution is described as “impossible” and not “true science”. Scientists, it seems, know evolution is one big hoax: “Because evolutionists do not want to believe the only alternative – that the universe was created by God – they declare evolution is a fact and believe its impossible claims without any scientific proof!” While the scientists push their “indefensible theory”, ACE sees the obvious truth: “We have a risen Christ, unquestionable proofs and, as if we needed it, God has thrown in a host of inarguable evidences all around us!” This line of thinking writes off the majority of Christians, who reconcile their faith with evolution, as not true believers. It also denigrates scientists as conspiracy theorists. This worldview is antithetical to reasonable education.
5) Science proves homosexuality is a learned behaviour. “Because extensive tests have shown that there is no biological difference between homosexuals and others, these tests seem to prove that homosexuality is a learned behaviour. The Bible teaches that homosexuality is sin. In Old Testament times, God commanded that homosexuals be put to death. Since God never commanded death for normal or acceptable actions, it is as unreasonable to say that homosexuality is normal as it is to say that murder or stealing is normal.” Quite apart from the flawed logic here, scientific consensus points to a genetic component in sexual orientation. But faith is not enough for ACE – even science must be shown to support their prejudice. The curriculum is designed to mould minds not to question the Absolute Truth and this, simply, is not education.